Film Review: Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror (2012)
starring Lily Collins, Julia Roberts, Armie Hammer, Nathan Lane, and Sean Bean

Watch the trailer for Mirror Mirror



(source: )

Synopsis

One of the most beloved stories of all time is coming to life in the motion picture Snow White legend, Mirror Mirror. A fresh and funny retelling of the Snow White legend, Mirror Mirror features breakout star Lily Collins (The Blind Side) as Snow White, a princess in exile, and Oscar®-winner Julia Roberts as the evil Queen who ruthlessly rules her captured kingdom. Seven courageous rebel dwarfs join forces with Snow White as she fights to reclaim her birthright and win her Prince in this magical adventure comedy filled with jealousy, romance, and betrayal that will capture the hearts and imaginations of audiences the world over. The film also stars Armie Hammer (The Social Network) as the Prince, and Nathan Lane (The Birdcage) as the hapless and bungling servant to the Queen.



I saw Mirror Mirror a couple months ago and thought it was okay. It had some funny moments here and there and had entertained me a bit, but that was about it. It didn't make me loved and enjoyed watching it as much as I did with other similar fairytale or Disney animated Princesses movies such as Tangled, Enchanted (partly animated/with more live action) Aladdin, and Mulan to name a few. I don't know, I thought it was kind of lackluster and had little spark. It just didn't wow me and made me so excited to see it as did with Disney's Tangled (Read my Film Review: Tangled). Now, that one was awesome and it was an animated film that felt more like a live action film. I love a fairytale Princesses and royalty movie genres, but if they aren't made right and didn't make me interested or super excited about it, I wouldn't enjoy watching it.

This film could've been done better (had not it been rushed into production). It had a great cast (including one of my favorite actresses Julia Roberts) and beautiful costumes. It was a visual fest as well, but the story just didn't bring a spark or entertained me enough. It was rather dull and over the top. Lilly Collins, while she looks cute and adorable (though I'd probably would rather see her as Snow White than Kristen Stewart's version in Snow White and the Huntsman), she did just alright as Snow White on this one. She looked gorgeous in her costumes though (and there was one where she looked like a younger Audrey Hepburn). Julia Roberts was funny (and a lil' over the top) though as the evil Queen. Nathan Lane as the servant was funny as does Armie Hammer as the Prince (now, he was handsome to look at and funny on this one and I didn't mind seeing him shirtless either, lol). The 7 dwarfs were funny at times and had a few interesting one-liner.

Overall, Mirror Mirror was just okay. Not the worst movie I've seen though as it was still a nice, visual fest movie with some funny moments to see and enjoy.

My Mirror Mirror Film Rating: ! (6/10; C-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)