I love Preity Zinta and her Movies

I'm in a preity good mood today, can you guess why? lol...of course, that's because I just did another Preity Zinta Movie Marathon. Yes, this is the second time (last Month, I had my first PZMM, lol) I watch all 5 of her movies in 5 days...might as well as I own and added them on my dvd collection now. Well, I got bored and...what can I say, I love Preity Zinta and her movies! It seems only Preity's movies got me in the mood to watch them all over again in one week. Though as long as each one of them in length (of time that is...over 2-3 hours each!)...but with PZ's ever so pretty presence, charm, and beautiful smile...


I hardly noticed the time, lol. She just had this radiant and beautiful on-screen presence and appeal that just make you glued to your TV screen and watch her wonderful acting unfold. It doesn't hurt that she's a very good actress, not just another pretty face (mind you, she's a very intelligent person as well. In fact, she graduated in college with a degree major in Criminal Psychology, she's often referred to by the media/fans as "bubbly" though...poor Preity she can't seem to escape that label, lol... but she seems to be a very fun person to be around with, with an interesting personality. Not too mention, she has a very good sense of humor...you have to watch her Koffee with Karan interviews (which you can view via YouTube here esp. her Rapid Fire segments with co-stars Saif Ali Khan, Abhishek Bachchan and Bobby Deol were pretty hilarious) to see for yourself how pretty, interesting, funny, smart, lively, witty, and fun she is to watch as a person outside her movies. It made me admired her even more and become a fan of hers not just as an actress, but as wonderful person that she is both on-screen and off-screen). Preity Zinta is quite a versatile actress who can play any character, not just a pretty one-dimensional character that others often play. She has played it all and was reportedly very good too according to various glowing rave reviews she has gotten from film critics and movie-goers of her various roles she had done on all her films. Though I've only seen her in these 5 Hindi/Bollywood films (of her more than 17 films she had done in the 10 years of her acting career), which I'll be posting and discussing here in a bit, she already showed her amazing range of versatility in her acting. I've read in various of news articles done about her that she had played a wide variety of different roles (ie. pregnant teen, a journalist, radio dj/medical student/pregnant woman, an arrogant/wealthy woman, a career woman, a fashion editor, a prostitute turned surrogate mother, an abused wife, a love-interest, etc.)...she's done pretty much most of the modern and independent-career woman role portrayed in films and she's done different genres of films as well such as action, fantasy, musical, comedy, romantic-comedy, and drama. Preity was very good in pretty much every role she's done esp. in this 5 movies of hers I've seen. She is pretty stylish and has good fashion sense too (both on-screen and off-screen). No wonder I loved and enjoyed her in all of these films whether she was playing an MBA college student who's unhappy with her personal family problems in Kal Ho Naa Ho, a radio dj/medical student/pregnant woman in Salaam Namaste, an adopted/step-daughter/tomboyish girl turned career woman in Dil Hai Tumhaara, a devoted lover in Veer-Zaara, and a unhappy/loyal fiancee in Dil Chahta Hai... she didn't disappoint. She was great in all of them. Not too mention, she was very funny in a few of those films. Preity has a good comedic timing, and she was very good in her dramatic roles as well. She can make you smile, laugh out loud, sad, and cry all at the same time in one movie...she's that good. No, she's not just good...she's brilliant, superb, an amazing as an actress (esp. as a Hindi/Bollywood actress...it's very rare in her generation)...at least in my opinion. I first saw her in Kal Ho Naa Ho, and I've never seen her in Bollywood movies before (being that Aishwara Rai was mostly the Bollywood actress I've seen previously, who is also one of my favorite Hindi/Bollywood actresses) and I was like...Wow, who is this pretty chick? lol. To find out her name was Preity, as pretty as she is, It got me interested in finding more of her movies and more info on her. Also, Preity has a great on-screen chemistry with most of her male co-stars esp. Saif Ali Khan (a very good friend of hers and one of her favorite frequent male co-stars) even her female co-stars (ie. she often works with Rani Mukherjee). Though she pretty much have a great on-screen chemistry with anyone she co-starred with. Preity Zinta is simply the best! She rocks in my book. Glad to have discovered her and her movies. Now, I find myself looking for more great movies from her to watch, lol.

Anyway...

Here I've listed and posted 5 of her many films I've seen (so far) from her and from the order I've seen them. Also, read my thoughts and comments about Preity's roles/characters as well her co-stars and the movies, of course...from each of the following PZ films.



Spoiler Warning: If you haven't seen any of these Preity Zinta Movies and don't want to be spoiled, don't read further...rather just ignore my post and read the brief synopsis and view all images stills from her movies. So, don't read my thoughts/comments as there are Spoilers within...but if you have seen them and are interested in reading further, then, by all means...read them below!




Kal Ho Naa Ho (Tomorrow May Never Come)
starring Preity Zinta, Saif Ali Khan, Shahrukh Khan



Brief Synopsis:Life of a very serious girl Naina (Preity Zinta), changes on the arrival of her new neighbour, Aman (Shahrukh Khan), who teaches her a new way to live.


My thoughts on Preity as Naina and KHNH:
Kal Ho Naa Ho
was the very first film I've ever seen Preity Zinta starred in. In this movie, I didn't even notice her at first, as Preity was pretty convincing as Naina Catherine Kapur, who seemed to be unhappy, often mad and presents herself as this un-pretty girl with glasses or specsy as Aman would tease her in a few scenes. He does noticed her as a pretty woman, of course, who was just hiding under her glasses. In one of the first song/dance scenes in KHNH, the "Pretty Woman" song seemed to complementing Naina as a pretty woman, but judging by her reaction in that scene, she looked more irritated and annoyed by his paying her more attention than she expected ...which she didn't see coming, lol.
The Night Club scene though was one of my favorite scenes in this movie as I loved the "It's The Time To Disco" song and dance number that Naina did when she was tipsy and started to danced the night away, haha! In this scene, we finally saw the pretty and wild side of Naina. Preity was pretty good in that scene. I love her dancing and how funny she was with SRK's Aman and Saif Ali Khan's Rohit just right after the disco dance, lol. I thought Preity did brilliant as Naina in this film. She showed a wide range of emotions here with Naina starting as an unhappy young woman, who doesn't like to smile and was dealing with family problems at the same time. Then, she meets Aman and she not only started to smile, she also fell in love with him. Unbeknownst to her, Aman loves her back (even before she did), but he was sick and dying (and kept it a secret from her)..so he helped her best friend Rohit to fall in love with her. So, yeah, there's a love-triangle here with Naina, Rohit, and Aman. I was rooting on Naina & Rohit though more than Naina & Aman. As sad as I was with Aman's condition, but I just thought Naina belongs to Rohit...and of course, I loved Preity & Saif's pairing, so I'm probably biased here, lol. I loved the Six Days Plan to get a girl scenes that Aman came up with for Rohit to get Naina to fall in love with him (and her reactions to Rohit's unusual behaviour around was so funny)...that's why I was rooting for Naina to end up with Rohit 'cause they looked so good together, they seemed to always wear the same matching colors (ie. red, pink, blue...lol), and their banter was great. Preity was so great with those sad and emotional scenes too esp. towards the end when she found out about Aman's secret...she brought a lot of tears in my eyes and I felt her pain. I really bawled there, not too mention with SRK's awesome acting, he made me cry as well. Overall, this film was amazing. The story was well-written, the ensemble cast were terrific, the acting was equally great for all cast most esp. PZ, and the music/songs (ie. Pretty Woman, It's The Time To Disco, Kal Ho Naa Ho, and esp. Mahi Ve ... I love this song...to name a few) were awesome. This movie made me a big PZ fan. It got me interested in her as an actress, enough for me to check out more info about her and to look for more of her films to watch. Fortunately, Preity didn't disappoint as an actress. She is so talented and amazing to watch as I've seen 4 more of her wonderful films. (Scroll down to read more PZ films below!)



Salaam Namaste
(
Greetings)
starring Preity Zinta, Saif Ali Khan





Brief Synopsis:
A Romantic Comedy, Salaam Namaste is about two Indians (Nick & Sambar) who have left their houses to make a life on their own (in Melbourne, Australia), and how they meet and how they tackle their own relationships and problems and overcome them themselves without their families.


My Thoughts on Preity as Ambar and SN:

Salaam Namaste was the first movie of PZ that I own on DVD (even though KHNH was the first one of her movies I saw). I loved this movie and Preity was so great here as Ambar "Amby" Malhotra. Her character, Ambar was pretty, smart, and funny. I thought she was so funny (esp. at the beginning when she was so angry at Nick and his tardiness to appear on her radio show for an interview, lol). She co-starred here again with her good friend, Saif Ali Khan (in one of their 4 movies together) and they just have this amazing and natural on-screen chemistry. No wonder I love watching them as a pair on-screen. Her funny (as well as emotional) scenes and banter with Nick was spot on and just a lot of fun to watch. This is my favorite Preity-Saif film they've done together. They were the center of this movie and no love-triangle here other than just the two of them getting into an unexpected romantic relationship and the problems they faced as a couple and how they overcome it. It was such a fantastic, romantic-comedy film. I just love Preity (and her different looks, outfits...so stylish) here and pretty much everything about this movie. The story was very well-written and realistic, something people in the real world can relate to. The location (in Melbourne, Australia) and the film's visual was stunning. I love the wedding at the beach scene (the film title track was perfect for the song/dance in that extended scene at the beach). The cast was great and so funny esp. Preity and Saif. The song/dance scenes were limited here (just 4 songs/dance scenes), but were great and a lot of fun to watch. There were only 4 songs (Salaam Namaste, My Dil Goes Mmmmm..., Tu Jahan, and What's Going On), but they were all equally great, fun to listen to and so catchy. I love them all esp. the film title and song Salaam Namaste and My Dil Goes Mmmm....These songs just get stuck on my head even after the movie ends, that I ended up looking for these songs online and downloaded them on my iPod to listen to, lol. I love the song/dance numbers that Preity (as Ambar) and Saif (as Nick) did for all 4 of these songs in the movie (esp. Preity's moon-walk dance as pregnant Ambar in What's Going On was hilarious) that I can't help but picture images of them from the movie and then the songs (ie. My Dil Goes Mmmm...) linger on in my head when I listen to them on my iPod. I can't stop singing theses songs in my head (Well...the English chorus and a few Hindi lyrics that I know, of course) afterwards even in my sleep. It's so catchy and infectious, haha! So yeah...let me just say it again, that....I just love the songs, Preity and Saif as Ambar & Nick, and this movie a lot. This was a fun movie to watch!


Dil Hai Tumhaara (My Heart Is Yours)
starring Preity Zinta, Rekha, Mahima Chaudhry,
Arjun Rampal, and Jimmy Shergill


Brief Synopsis:
Precocious Shalu has determined that she is in need of employment, and does get one with Khanna Industries, with a fair amount of false information. She meets with the owner's son, Dev Khanna, and thinks he is the driver, and treats him as such. Together they masquerade to help the poor farmers in the community, and both fall in love.


My Thoughts on Preity as Shalu and DHT:

Preity as Shalu was simply amazing. I love her in this film the most. She was fun, very funny, and just entertaining to watch here. She actually showed a wide range of emotions and her versatile acting here from being sad, unhappy, and neglected daughter (trying to get her mother's attention most of the time) to precocious and frustrated (because again, her mother seems to only favor her older sister, but she doesn't know the secret of her childhood past...so she's left wondering why...), to being very witty and funny esp. her scenes with Dev Khanna (Arjun Rampal), who she had mistaken as the driver and since he was doing an undercover for his family business, Khanna Industries...the confusion on her part was hilarious) as Shalu who didn't know Anand was her boss. She thought of him as the driver and treated him as such. Preity was so good and pretty hilarious in those scenes she had with him. No too mention, she looks cute with him, lol. She had me laughing a lot in those scenes. I found myself replaying that particular scene after viewing it...a few times or so, as she just made me laugh, lol. Then, she made me sad and cry when Shalu was heartbroken over Dev when she found out her sister loves him too. She was torn over her love for him and her sister. Not too mention, when she found out her mother's secret from her past. Those dramatic scenes as well as when she talked to Dev's father about who she really was, brought a lot of tears in my eyes. She really moved me in that scene. After making me laugh at the beginning, she then, really had me teary-eyed in those scenes towards the end. I thought she was brilliant and amazing! I love how Preity portrayed Shalu in this film as a tomboyish, bubbly, witty, strong, independent, and a vivacious girl with a sensitive heart all at the same time. This film was excellent. I love everything about this movie. The story was very well-written and touching. It tugs in your heart esp. those sad scenes and the funny parts will definitely make you laugh a lot. The music was also great. Though there were too many of them (9 songs!), but they were all great and fun to listen too. And of course, the ensemble cast (esp. Preity and Rekha) were outstanding. Besides Preity, I was very impressed with Rekha's top notch acting as Shalu's step-mother. She and Preity were both equally impressive and their scenes together were great. The other co-stars (ahima Chaudhry, Arjun Rampal, and Jimmy Shergill) were all great as well. Interestingly, in this movie, they each had an equally pretty good chemistry with Preity in every scene they shared with her. I love everything about this film too. Preity Zinta was the highlight (amongst other great things to watch) in this film, in my opinion. As Shalu, she made this movie, fun and entertaining to watch. I must say, this was one of her best films to watch. I loved and enjoyed watching Preity in this film.

Veer-Zaara
starring Preity Zinta, SRK, and Rani Mukherjee



Brief Synopsis:
Veer Pratap Singh (Shah Rukh Khan) is an officer and pilot in the Indian Air Force who one day meets a beautiful Pakistani heiress, Zaara Hayaat Khan (Preity Zinta), as she travels to a small Indian village to scatter the ashes of one of her family's loyal servants. Veer has family in the village, and while most Indians show no affection for Pakistanis, his aunt and uncle are willing to take Zaara in for the night. It isn't long before Veer finds himself falling for her....



My thoughts on Preity as Zaara and V-Z:

Preity as Zaara Hayaat Khan was very good here. She was more serious and in dramatic role in this film. She and SRK were fantastic here as Zaara & Veer. Their pairing in this movie was so much better than in KHNH (at least, in my opinion) as their romantic relationship was more focused with the story and the title itself said it all. They were like star-crossed lovers much like Romeo & Juliet and Jack & Rose (of Titanic) relationship-wise. Though their love for each other was so strong, they couldn't be together as much as they would love to. They had to endure and sacrificed their true love, happiness, and future for each other esp. Veer for the sake of his loyalty and wanting to protect Zaara's happiness, while Zaara reluctantly did what she had to do, because Veer asked her to and her loyalty to her parents esp. to her father (with political ambitions of his own) who had alliance to the family of the man she was arranged to marry. Zaara had no choice but to obey her parents and marry the man she didn't love even if she was willing to run away with Veer, the man she truly loves. Preity's Zaara character here was not as strong, funny, outspoken, and independent as her characters Shalu (in Dil Hai Tumhaara) and Ambar (in Salaam Namaste). She's more serious and dependent to her parents decisions for her when it comes to matter of her own heart and marriage, even though she tried to rebel and followed her heart when she met Veer on her trip to India (and fell in love with him when she returned home). Perhaps for the sake of loyalty and her parents making her guilty for almost running away with Veer, it placed her in a most difficult situation where she can't do what she wants or make her own decisions without her parents permission or acceptance. Not too mention, her being a Pakistani and Muslim and Veer being an Indian and a Sikh didn't help with her parents and esp. her fiancee she almost forgot to mention to Veer after their time together in his family (in their village in India) made it even more complicated. So, they had to endure a very long separation and Veer sacrificed his love for Zaara to protect her and her happiness. He, even spent several years behind bars (for mistaken identity...or rather being framed by Zaara's fiancee to get him out of the picture of her life for good). SRK as Veer was superb in this film. He had me in tears a lot and got me bawling when made that very touching speech toward the end. Likewise with Preity as Zaara. Their Veer-Zaara pairing was really meant to be in this one (unlike in KHNH)...no matter the long separation, they were destine and belong together. The ending of this film was beautiful and touching. Preity and SRK as much older Zaara & Veer were terrific as well. Their reunion scene at the end was so touching. Once again, the ensemble cast was outstanding much like the other 3 other PZ films previoulsy discussed above ^ including Preity's frequent female co-star Rani Mukherjee as Veer's lawyer. What a beautiful and visually stunning film! The first half was light and fun. I love Veer & Zaara's scenes in India esp. on their way to Veer's family in the village. Those scenes were fun to watch. The 2nd half was more serious and sad. Overall, beautiful film!

Dil Chahta Hai (What The Heart Desires)
starring Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna,
Preity Zinta
, Dimple Kapadia, Sonali Kulkarni



Brief Synopsis:
This movie is entwined with the lives of three friends Akash Malhotra (Aamir Khan), Sameer (Saif Ali Khan), and Siddharth Sinha (Akshaye Khanna). Although their thinking and lifestyle is the same, they prove to be three very different individuals.

My thoughts on Preity as Shalini and DCH:

In Dil Chahta Hai, Preity had a small part and was only playing a supporting role (even though she was the lead supporting female actress or rather the most familiar female face in the ensemble cast with the 3 lead male actors leading the film). The 3 handsome male actors Aamir Khan, Akshaye Khanna, and Saif Ali Khan in this movie were the center and the main stars here with Preity in the supporting role. The guys, of course, were the spotlight in this film as the story was about the lives, romances, and road trips of 3 male best friends, while Preity plays one of the female love interests of one of them. She didn't have a lot of screen time here, but when she does, she lights up the screen and holds on her own. Preity as Shalini was reserve, shy, quiet, and loyal to her fiancee and his family who raised her. She had reasons to why she was marrying her fiancee and she as much as doesn't truly love him (perhaps she sees and loves him more like a brother than a lover), but because she was indebted to him and his parents. She didn't want to disobey them as much as she wants to like Zaara (in Veer-Zaara) and follow what's in her heart. Her first time meeting with Akash (Aamir Khan) at a night club somewhere in the beginning of the film didn't turn out good with her fiancee around. The second time they met was a lot better as it was during her flight to Sydney, Australia. Coincidentally, they happened to be in the same flight and sit next to each other. Shalini started to get to know Akash more and much better when they spent more time in Sydney as she was visiting her photographer Uncle and he was managing a family business there. Also, Shalini started to open up and be more of herself when she was around Akash. I love Preity and Aamir Khan's pairing in this film. They were so cute together here. All their scenes in Australia were awesome esp. when they were in the roller coaster ride and the train station. So funny! In the Opera scene, Shalini actually tried to show Akash how to love even though he doesn't believe in love itself, while she was falling for him at the same time. But she hid it from Akash, even as he was falling for her as well and he wouldn't admit it until she left Australia and was getting married. Her fiancee was jealous of her time with Akash and was making it difficult for her. Yeah, sounds like another love-triangle, eh? lol. Glad Shalini ended up with someone she loves and loves her back, plus a surprise approval of her union to the man she loves from the parents of her fiancee who oddly enough raised her. That particular scene was great and really touching. Aamir Khan as Akash was brilliant in that scene. Though she co-stars, yet again with Saif in this movie, they weren't a pair on this one. I didn't mind though, as Preity could've had any of the 3 male friends (or all 3 of them hot guys, lol) as they're all handsome hotties to look at and like I said, Preity seems to have a good chemistry with any of her male co-stars. This was another terrific film about friendships, road trips, romances, and life lessons. Preity and her DCH co-stars were all great here.

I think that preity much covered everything about all 5 of Preity's movies I've seen (so far...), so that concludes my novel-like PZMM posting here, lol. Sorry for the length of the post. Like I said, I was in a PZ-and-her-awesome-movies-mood. Hope you enjoyed reading, and if you've read it this far...thanks!

Can't get enough of Preity Zinta?
More about PZ Movies in the following links below:
Plus essential Preity Zinta sites:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)