Bollywood Films

Ok, I'm not Indian nor do I speak Hindi or any dialect they speak, lol...but I must say, I love their movies. Lately, I found myself watching a lot of Bollywood films. I love how characters sing (though I've recently found out that the actors lip syncs to songs from playback singers) and dance in between scenes of their movies and their beautiful music and colorful costumes. I discovered Bollywood movies after seeing Bride & Prejudice movie (the Bollywood version of P&P) a few years ago and I've just been into it more recently as a co-worker of my Mom would let her borrow Bollywood movies (while he/she borrows my American movies on DVDs, hehe).

One of the few things I didn't like about Bollywood movies though is that they don't really kiss nor they do love scenes in most of them (except for a certain few films such as Salaam Namaste. Love this one). Not that I can't watch them without the kissing or love scenes, but sometimes they should be shown for certain romantic movies. Another is, it's too long (they need to edit and shorten the length of time to pretty much all their movies as they tend to drag on the stories too long with too many singing/dancing sequences...that's what deleted scenes are for on dvd special features), lol. I don't mind the singing and dancing though esp. if they are very good. I can tolerate watching them when I have a lot of free time to watch epic movies. And the English subtitles needs to keep up with the dialogue from the movie as they are either shown too fast or too slow or the text were incorrect. I sometimes don't understand what I was watching, but glad the characters would speak a bit of English (though mixed with Hindi) in some of their lines...so I'm at least not lost (even without translation) with the what's going on. Though if they often messes up the English subtitles, they might as well dubbed them in English, lol. J/K!


Anyway, here are some of the Bollywood Films I've seen (so far) and enjoyed... (though mostly Aishwarya Rai and Preity Zinta movies...these 2 beautiful Bollywood actresses are now 2 of my current favorite Bollywood actresses to watch and Saif Ali Khan (for male Bollywood actor):
1. Bride & Prejudice - starring Aishwarya Rai, Martin Henderson
Sypnosis:Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice gets a Bollywood treatment.
The language's mostly in English with a lil' bit of Punjabi, Hindi, and Spanish.

My Comments: I thought Aishwarya Rai was great in this movie. I started to notice her and Bollywood movies because of this film. Thanks to this film (my very first Bollywood film I've seen), it introduced me to all these amazing Bollywood/Hindi films (I've seen now) that I've never noticed before. I own the dvd for this and I loved and enjoyed watching this film a lot. It was beautiful, colorful, fun, funny, and enjoyable to watch, at least for me.

2. Salaam Namaste (Greetings) - starring Preity Zinta, Saif Ali Khan

Synopsis:A Romantic Comedy, Salaam Namaste is about two Indians (Nick & Sambar) who have left their houses to make a life on their own (in Melbourne, Australia), and how they meet and how they tackle their own relationships and problems and overcome them themselves without their families.
My Comments: Preity Zinta as Ambar and Saif Ali Khan as Nick were so cute and funny in this movie. I like watching these two actors in movies together. This one was one of their 4 movies together. I recently just got my copy of this on DVD and I loved and enjoyed watching it. This one's my most favorite though as well as Kal Ho Naa Ho. Preity is obviously very pretty with pretty cute dimples and beautiful smile, and Saif is just too cute and funny here. They just have an amazing and natural on-screen (as well as off-screen) chemistry. I love their romantic on-screen pairing. Too bad they're not dating in real-life, they would make a lovely and cute couple, don't you agree?

3. Kal Ho Naa Ho (Tomorrow May Never Come) - starring Preity Zinta, Saif Ali Khan, Shahrukh Khan
Synopsis:Life of a very serious girl Naina (Preity Zinta), changes on the arrival of her new neighbour, Aman (Shahrukh Khan), who teaches her a new way to live.
My Comments:
This was actually the first movie I've seen Preity Zinta starred in. This movie was beautiful, fun, funny, and sad all at the same time. I don't like love triangles, but I totally ship for Naina & Rohit (Preity-Saif) in this one. Though I feel sad for Aman, but I just think that Naina & Rohit are cute in this film and were meant to be. Again, Preity and Saif were awesome in this film and this was released before Salaam Namaste.

4. Taal (Rythm) - starring Aishwarya Rai, Akshaye Khanna Synopsis:On a sight-seeing road trip of India, U.K. based Manav Mehta meets Mansi, the daughter of a singer, Tarababu...My Comments:
Beautiful movie. Beautiful story. One of my favorite Aishwarya Rai films. I love Aishwarya and Akshaye in this film. I think they were so cute together and very good in this one. I was definitely into them as a couple and was hoping they would be together in the end. Did they or didn't they? The only way to find out is to watch this film.

5. Devdas - starring Aishwarya Rai, Shahrukh Khan
Synopsis:After his wealthy family prohibits him from marrying the woman he is in love with, Devdas Mukherjee's life spirals further and further out of control as he takes up alcohol and a life of vice to numb the pain.My Comments:
Beautiful movie and the ending was very sad too. That's all I can say without spoiling it for those of you who haven't seen this film, lol.

6. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (Straight from the Heart ) - starring Aishwarya Rai, Ajay Devgan, Salman Khan
Synopsis:
The half-Indian, half-Italian Sameer (Salman Khan) comes to India to learn classical music from Darbar (Vikram Gokhale) and falls for Darbar's daughter, Nandini (Aishwarya Rai).
My Comments:
Another beautiful movie with Aishwarya Rai (though she's often in love-triangle movies, lol). I was rooting more for Nandini (Aishwarya Rai) and her husband Vanraj than when she was with the proud Sameer. Vanraj was just a wonderful, loving, caring, and patient husband. I definitely liked him more for Nandini than Sameer.

7. Jodhaa Akbar - starring Aishwarya Rai, Hrithik Roshan

Synopsis:A sixteenth century love story about a marriage of alliance that gave birth to true love between a great Mughal emperor, Akbar, and a Rajput princess, Jodha.
My Comments:
A very good movie. I didn't mind that this movie was epic as it should be esp. the genre type of this movie. Aishwarya Rai was beautiful in this film. Hrithik Roshan was very good too, not too mention easy on the eyes to look at, lol.

8.
Kandukondain Kandukondain (I have Found It) - starring Aishwarya Rai
Synopsis An Indian adaptation of Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility."
Two young women with differing views on love find themselves with three suitors.
My Comments:
This movie was good. Aishwarya Rai and the rest of the cast were good as well. It sure reminds me of Sense & Sensibility, only in Bollywood style.

9. Parineeta - starring Saif Ali Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Vidya Balan


Synosis:
The lifelong romance between Lolita (Balan) and Shekar (Khan) is upset by the arrival of another man.


My Comments:
This movie was recommended for me to watch by a very good friend of mine (Ashley) and I'm glad she did 'cause this was a very good film. Saif Ali Khan was great in this one. His character here was mostly serious, but he did a great job in all his scenes esp. in the heart-wrenching piano scene towards the end.

10.
Veer-Zaara - starring Preity Zinta, SRK, and Rani Mukherjee

Synopsis: Veer Pratap Singh (Shah Rukh Khan) is an officer and pilot in the Indian Air Force who one day meets a beautiful Pakistani heiress, Zaara Hayaat Khan (Preity Zinta), as she travels to a small Indian village to scatter the ashes of one of her family's loyal servants. Veer has family in the village, and while most Indians show no affection for Pakistanis, his aunt and uncle are willing to take Zaara in for the night. It isn't long before Veer finds himself falling for her....My Comments:
After watching Veer-Zaara, I must say, this movie was amazing. Everything from the cinematography to the singing/music/dancing to the cast/acting to the story were just fantastic. I love Preity Zinta-SRK pairing in this film. I think this was the movie that I actually root for their pairing as Veer (SRK) and Zaara (PZ) from the first time they met till the end. They were so cute and beautiful together in this one. SRK was so drool-worthy in this film (his younger self, of course), I love Veer and was so sad for him when he and Zaara parted ways! Though I won't spoil the movie as it was very sad in the 2nd half. They first half was light and fun. Love Veer and Zaara's scenes in the first half of the film.

SRK was superb in this film (much like his other 2 films Kal Ho Naa Ho and Devdas). I cried towards the end when he made a beautiful speech. I replayed that scene after watching the whole movie and it got me teary-eyed all over again. I actually loved his character here more than in Devdas. He was so noble, loving, caring, and loyal to Zaara. His enduring love for her was so heartfelt and touching. Preity as Zaara was superb as well. Beautiful film.

11.
Dil Hai Tumhaara - (My Heart Is Yours) - starring Preity Zinta, Rekha, Mahima Chaudhry, Arjun Rampal, and Jimmy Shergill

Sypnosis:
Precocious Shalu has determined that she is in need of employment, and does get one with Khanna Industries, with a fair amount of false information. She meets with the owner's son, Dev Khanna, and thinks he is the driver, and treats him as such. Together they masquerade to help the poor farmers in the community, and both fall in love.

My Comments:
This movie was fantastic! It was really cute, funny, and sad all at the same time...but mostly funny esp. Preity Zinta's character Shalu. She cracked me up a lot whenever she was mad and she does that funny hand thing to the driver (aka Dev Khanna) who she likes to boss around, lol. PZ was awesome in this film. She was brilliant in both funny and sad parts. The rest of the cast were great too. Awesome movie. Though there were too many song/dance performances (9 of them!), but I didn't mind...they were at least fun to watch and not boring.

12.
Dil Chahta Hai (What The Heart Desires) - starring Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Preity Zinta, Dimple Kapadia, Sonali Kulkarni
Sypnosis: This movie is entwined with the lives of three friends Akash Malhotra (Aamir Khan), Sameer (Saif Ali Khan), and Siddharth Sinha (Akshaye Khanna). Although their thinking and lifestyle is the same, they prove to be three very different individuals.

My Comments:
Another Preity Zinta movie (I know...well, what can I say...I just love PZ, lol. I guess I'll start a separate post just talking all about PZ movies I've seen here very soon), but she was actually not the main lead in this one. She was one of the supporting cast/female lead in an ensemble cast. It was a very good movie and a lil' different than the usual Bollywood films. The 3 main cast were perfect for their roles and PZ was great as well. I love her scenes with Akash (Aamir Khan) when they were in Sydney Australia esp. in the roller coaster ride and the train station. So funny, lol. Shalini & Akash made a cute pair (Preity Zinta and Aamir Khan as Shalini & Akash, of course) in this film. Akshaye Khanna is so handsome and dreamy to watch (esp. looking at his sexy eyes) and Saif Ali Khan was cute here and funny too. Wonderful film!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, love your blog, totally loved the Pride and Prejudice stuff. I'm glad you're into Bollywood,=D I"m of Indian blood and I haven't watched half the movie you've listed lol. But they're really cool, more people should watch 'em.

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Spanish Telenovelas

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)