Bollywood Films (Part 3)

I've seen so many Bollywood Films via Netflix in the last few years and I thought I'd add more film titles here, which are about 22 of them that I can remember seeing and have loved and enjoyed watching.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any new Bollywood movies lately since Netflix haven't add anything new and interesting that catches my attention nor worth a look. There isn't anything new that stars my favorite Bollywood actors either. So, they're pretty much most of the same old movies I've already seen and others I don't really care for. I'm waiting for something new to be added soon (hopefully) that'll capture my interest and will make me want to see it.

Anyway, here's my new list of 22 Bollywood films I've seen in recent years...

 Kahaani (2012)
starring Vidya Balan
Synopsis: A pregnant woman's search for her missing husband takes her from London to Kolkata, but everyone she questions denies having ever met her husband.

My Thoughts/Reviews: This was a very good movie! It had action, suspense, mystery, and its twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat and glued on my screen while watching it. Vidya Balan did a great job on playing her role as the lead character in this movie. I loved and enjoyed watching it. Great movie!

Fanaa (2006)
starring Aamir Khan, Kajol
Synopsis: Set in Delhi and the Kashmir Valley, a blind woman falls in love with a rakish tour guide who hides a terrible secret...

My Thoughts/Review: This was a very good romantic love story with Aamir Khan and Kajol as the main OTP. They made a great pair here and their acting was great as well. I loved and enjoyed watching this movie! Any movie with Aamir Khan on it, really... is always very good in my viewing. At least most of the movies I've seen him, he was always good whether he's playing a good guy or bad guy or in lead or supporting. He's just that great of an actor, in my opinion. He picks and stars in great movies too, so I'm always looking forward to any film projects he's apart of. It's always a plus when he's the main actor and is producing and directing his own movies too.

Swades (2004)
starring Shah Rukh Khan, Gayatri Joshi
Synopsis: 
A successful Indian scientist returns to an Indian village to take his nanny to America with him and in the process rediscovers his roots.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a great movie! I love and enjoyed watching it. SRK and Gayatri Joshi made a great pair here with their wonderful pairing and great acting. This movie has a very good story, gorgeous cinematography, and memorable music. I loved and enjoyed watching this movie.

Lagaan: Once Upon A Time In India (2001)
starring Aamir Khan, Rachel Shelley
Synopsis: The people of a small village in Victorian India stake their future on a game of cricket against their ruthless British rulers...

My Thoughts/Review: Another great movie starring Aamir Khan! He's definitely one of my favorite Bollywood actors. Loved and enjoyed watching him in this movie!

Lakshya (2004)
starring Hrithik Roshan, Preity Zinta
Synopsis: When taken out of comfort zone, pampered young man Karan faces the reality of having goalless life.

My Thoughts/Review: Great movie with Hrithik Roshan and Preity Zinta, two of my favorite Bollywood actors and pairings. They made a great OTP and these two have amazing on-screen chemistry. I wish they had more scenes together in this movie, but every scene they were in, I love and enjoyed watching them. Just a great movie, overall.

Pyaar Impossible (2010)
starring Priyanka Chopra, Uday Chopra
Synopsis: A romantic comedy in which a geek and the most sought-after college beauty are paired together by a twist of fate. And under all odds, an impossible love story begins.

My Thoughts/Review: I love this cute and funny, romantic-comedy! Before I saw this movie, I kept seeing the poster on Netflix when I was browsing for random movies to watch one day and this keep popping up on most popular on Netflix (and facebook), romantic comedy, foreign movies, and Bollywood movies. But as gorgeous and eye-catching that movie poster was, I kept skipping it as my Netflix list was already long at the time. One day, I finally got around to watching this movie and I must say, I should've watched it a long time ago. It was a very good movie. I loved and enjoyed watching it. Uday Chopra (just noticed he wrote the screenplay to this movie!) was adorkable and hilarious on this one and Priyanka Chopra was just beautiful and very good here as well. Just a great romantic-comedy and one of my favorite Bollywood romantic movies. I've seen this movie more than a few times. I just love it and the music's great too. Too bad it's not on Netflix anymore...

Fashion (2008)
starring Priyanka Chopra
Synopsis: A small town girl aspires to make career in the glamorous Fashion world, but would she survive in this hardhearted industry?

My Thoughts/Review: This was a good movie and Priyanka Chopra was very good here. She played a much different and darker role. The movie, while it was good, just tend to dragged on though and with Bollywood moves that usually takes up to 2-3 hours long, sometimes I lost interest in watching the whole movie especially if it drags on and doesn't get to the point.

Ek Tha Tiger (2012)
starring Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif
Synopsis: RAW agent Tiger is on a mission to retrieve information from a scientist in Dublin.

My Thoughts/Review: I thought this was a very good movie with lots of action but also has the humor and drama in the mix. Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif were very good OTP here and I loved and enjoyed watching them in this movie.
Raajneeti (2010)
starring Ranbir Kapoor, Sarah Thompson, Arjun Rampal, Katrina Kaif
Synopsis: Just about to acquire a PhD, a young man becomes embroiled in politics, deceit, lies and murder.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a very good movie with fine acting and great cast. Handsome looking Arjun Rampal was very good here, even though his character's not a good guy sometimes. Ranbir Kapoor, who played his brother and the lead character was equally very good. The beautiful ladies, Katrina Kaif and Sarah Thompson (who played the Irish-American named Sara) were very good too despite their small screen time and supporting roles. Didn't care much for the politics parts of this movie, but it was still interesting to watch especially seeing how brothers and families in politics turned against each other or may be even kill each other for greed or votes. The ending made me so sad especially after what happen to two of the characters I didn't expect to see happen...!

Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012)
starring Sharuk Ruhk Khan, Katrina Kaif
Synopsis:
After finding and losing his true love in London, Samar Anand defies death by becoming a bomb disposal expert for the Indian Army. Returning to London after 10 years, he suffers amnesia after an accident. Will he be reunited with his love?
  
My Thoughts/Review: A very good movie with SRK and Katrina Kaif in the lead.

Badmaa$h Company (2010)
starring Shahid Kapoor, Anushka Sharma
Synopsis: Four young friends get together in 90's middle class Mumbai to start a company, which turns out to be an instant hit due to their unorthodox methods.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a fun, adventurous, thriller to watch. Reminded me a bit of the movie 21. Though some parts of the story doesn't seem realistic, but it was still a lot of fun and entertaining to watch with a mix of humor and drama. Shahid Kapoor was such an eye-candy and handsome looking in this movie, I didn't care whether this movie was good or not. He more than made up for it and he was very good in this movie. Anushka Sharma was looking good herself and she and Shahid Kapoor looked great together in this movie. The other guy and the Chinese guy were good too.

Rock On!! (2008)
starring Arjun Rampal
Synopsis: Four friends reunite to relive their moments of glory as a rock band.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a very good movie. Love the story, cast, and music. I loved and enjoyed watching it.

Paa (2009)
starring Amitabh Batchachan, Abisheik Batchachan, Vidya Balan
Synopsis: Auro (Amitabh Bachchan) is an intelligent and witty 13-year-old boy with an extremely rare genetic defect that causes accelerated aging. He suffers from a progeria-like syndrome. Mentally he is 13, very normal, but physically he looks five times older. In spite of his condition, Auro is a very happy boy. He lives with his mother Vidya (Vidya Balan) who is a gynecologist. Amol Arte (Abhishek Bachchan) is young, progressive and a full-of-ideals politician. He is out to prove to the world that 'politics' is not a bad word. He is a man with a mission. Auro is Amol's son.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a great movie! Real-life father and son/actors Amitabh Batchachan (Big B) and Abisheik Batchachan (Junior) were very good (especially Big B as Auro, he was superb as an intelligent 13-year-old boy with an extreme rare genetic defect that causes accelerated aging) in a son-father role (reversal) in this movie. Badya Balan was great too as Auro's unwed mother. Great story. Great performances. Great music. Overall, just a great movie for all the family to see together. 

New York (2009)
starring John Abraham, Katrina Kaif
Synopsis: A taxi-driver is detained on suspicion of being a terrorist.

My Thought/Reviews: I must admit when I first saw this movie's title, New York (I love the city!) and poster, I was already drawn into it and the good looking trio of lead actors in this movie were already tempting and convinced me to watch this movie, lol. I thought this was a very good movie set in New York. It started really good at the beginning, but loses a little spark in the middle and tend to drag on. Now, the second half was very good. I was very surprised when the second half took a drastic and an unexpected twist. From then on, there was no looking back. The film became thrilling, more interesting and very moving at the same time. Great movie and fine acting by the main leads.

Thaandavam (2012)
starring Chiyaan Vikram, Amy Jackson
Synopsis: A blind man with his 'Echolocation' power takes on a revenge mission.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a very good movie. I really enjoyed watching it.


Guzaarish (2010)
starring Hrithik Roshan, Aiswarya Rai-Batchachan
Synopsis: A paralyzed Magician-turned-Radio Jockey files a Petition in Court seeking permission to end his life.

My Thoughts/Review: Great movie with an equally great pairing of Hrithik Roshan and Aiswarya Rai-Batchachan. While I loved them in this movie, I think I loved and enjoyed watching them more in Jodhaa Akbar, their epic, sixteenth century love story movie. Still, a great movie, though. 

Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana (2012)
starring Kunal Kapoor, Huma Qureshi
Synopsis: Omi Khurana's London dream has just ended. On the run from a dangerous UK gangster who he owes money to, Omi returns to his native village in Punjab, pretending to be a well-heeled London lawyer. Much has changed since Omi ran away from home a decade back after stealing money from his doting grandfather, Darji. The old man has since become senile and most importantly, forgotten the secret recipe of "Chicken Khurana" a dish that made the Khurana dhaba (restaurant) famous across Punjab. Omi's childhood sweetheart, Harman is soon to be married to his cousin, Jeet, though neither seems too happy about it. Adding to the quirkiness of the Khurana family is a free loader uncle, Titu, who once did a stint at a mental asylum. Will Omi be able to cover his deceit and lies for long, even as he tries to recover the lost recipe of Chicken Khurana - the family's only hope to reclaim their pride & wealth.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a very good little movie, I didn't expect to love and enjoy watching. Kunal Kapoor and Huma Qureshi were a great pair in this movie. They looked good together too and made you root for them to get together as well. Also, there scenes together were cute (wish they had more...). A very good movie, overall.

Rang De Basanti (2006)
starring Aamir Khan, Soha Ali Khan
Synopsis: A young woman from England comes to India to make a documentary about her grandfather's diary which was written in the 1920s about the Indian Independence with five young men.

My Thoughts/Review: Yet another great movie starring Aamir Khan! Great ensemble cast. Great performances. And great, thought-provoking story. I just loved and enjoyed watching this movie from the beginning to end.

Love Story 2050 (2008)
starring Priyanka Chopra, Harman Baweja
Synopsis: With the help of his uncle, a man travels to the future to try and bring his girlfriend back to life.

My Thoughts/Review: I thought this was a good movie. Though not great, it was good, fun, and entertaining to watch. I didn't care much for the time travel parts of this movie, but the beautiful pairing of Priyanka Chopra and Harman Baweja (they looked so good together!) was what made me keep watching and enjoyed watching this romantic love story.

Kites (2010)
starring Hrithik Roshan, Bárbara Mori
Synopsis: A wounded man searches for his sweetheart in the Mexican desert while on the run from the police, bounty hunters, and others.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a great crossover movie especially with the beautiful pairing of Hrithik Roshan and Bárbara Mori. What's not to like? A handsome looking Indian and a beautiful Mexican in Las Vegas...these two were just gorgeous together and made a sizzling, sexy, and hot OTP with chemistry. I loved and enjoyed watching this movie.

Dostana (2008)
starring John Abraham, Abhishek Batchachan, Priyanka Chopra
Synopsis: Two straight guys pretend to be gay in order to secure a Miami apartment. When both of them fall for their roommate Neha, hilarity ensues as they strive to convince one and all that they're gay, secretly trying to win her heart.

My Thoughts/Review: This was a hilarious, romantic-comedy film. It made me LOL a lot. I loved and enjoyed watching this movie. Definitely worth watching!

Baabul (2006)
starring Amitabh Batchachan, Rani Mukherjee, 
Salman Khan, Aishwarya Rai-Batchachan
Synopsis:

Babul tells the tale of a man (Bachchan) who tries to bring happiness back into his daughter-in-law (Mukherjee)'s life after his son (Salman)'s death.

My Thoughts/Review: While this movie had a great ensemble cast line-up...I can't say the same for the movie. I thought it was good as far as the acting performances especially by Amitabh Bachachan and Rani Mukherjee. But the movie itself was not that good. Let's just say it didn't hold my interest, much as I love the cast. Oh, well...even great actors have not so great films...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Spanish Telenovelas

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)