Film Review: The Heat

The Heat (2013)
Starring Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy



Watch The Heat trailer

(source: The Heat)
The Heat synopsis
Uptight FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn (Sandra Bullock) and foul-mouthed Boston cop Shannon Mullins (Melissa McCarthy) couldn't be more incompatible. But when they join forces to bring down a ruthless drug lord, they become the last thing anyone expected: buddies. From Paul Feig, director of "Bridesmaids."


I saw The Heat recently and thought it was surprisingly very good and hilarious. When I first saw the trailer, I didn't think it was that funny, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch this movie, as often trailers would give away the best (or worst) parts and can either make or break a film. Not so on this one. Thankfully, it didn't give away most of the funny scenes from the movie. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy were great and hilarious together. They had a great chemistry as a team or rather as an unlikely buddies in a cop/FBI agent type of unexpected partnership. Great comedy timing from both as well. 

I thought Melissa McCarthy as the foul-mouthed Boston cop, Shannon Mullins was more hilarious in this movie than she was in Bridesmaid. I heard she was hilarious in Identity Thief too, but I haven't seen that movie yet. So, won't try to compare her performance from that one to this one. In this movie, she was just crazy fun and randomly hilarious to watch. I laughed a lot in almost every scene she was in, especially when her character first appeared on screen and she was chasing and arresting random guys at the street. LOL! Likewise the audience who were watching this movie in the theater I saw this movie, were also laughing out loud for the most parts that she was in and was enjoying watching this movie as I did. Sandra Bullock, on the other hand, as  FBI special agent Sarah Ashburn was not quite funny at the beginning, but I'm guessing it was on purpose as her character was supposed to be uptight and kind of serious with her job. Then, she loosen up once she met and joined forces with McCarthy's Mullins character and became so funny in the second half of the film.

[Spoilers] One of the funny scenes that made me laugh was when Ashburn was talking to Mullins, who was sitting on her back, turned out it wasn't her, but a random guy who looked just like her...at least when you only see his back and not his face...this was cleverly repeated in another random scene later on in the movie, and made me laugh out loud when the same guy's face was shown again in place of what Ashburn thought was Mullins, haha! Another was, the cat...Ashburn was petting at the beginning, was actually not hers, and Mullins giving it back to her (thinking it was hers) towards the end was hilarious, lol...[End of Spoilers]

Overall, The Heat was a very fun, laugh-out-loud, and entertaining film for all grown-ups and everyone to see and enjoy watching. This was the first (and only) hilarious film I've seen this summer, this year...thus far. It's a must-see and worth watching. I recommend you see this movie, if you haven't already. I think it's still in theaters. Go see it!

My The Heat film rating: (9.5/10; A)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)