Film Review: The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby (2013)
starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire,
Isla Fisher, Joel Edgerton
Watch The Great Gatsby trailer

(source: WarnerBrosPictures)
Synopsis
“The Great Gatsby” follows would-be writer Nick Carraway as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City in the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz, bootleg kings, and sky-rocketing stocks. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby, and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy, and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan. It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without of the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles.


I saw The Great Gatsby about a month or two ago. I actually saw this in 2D (and not 3D), which was still pretty good. I've never read the book, but I've seen the much older film adaptation starring Robert Redford several years ago. I only saw it once, so I don't remember much of what the movie or its story was all about except for Robert Redford was often wearing a white suit, which was quite interesting 'cause that was all what I recall from that movie (other than the character names and the actors who played the two main leads, RR as Gatsby and Mia Farrow as Daisy Buchanan), lol. I probably wasn't into it as I was too young when I saw it and can't remember what the movie was about. So, I don't think I can compare it to this one. I wanted to see this new adaptation with Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role as Jay Gatsby and Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan anyway in its fresh and new take. Not too mention the Moulin Rouge/Romeo+Juliet/Australia director Baz Lurhmann was directing this film in 3D with stylized and glitz and glamour visuals much like his MR film. I thought it might be interesting (just from seeing the trailer and images alone got my attention and curiousity), but I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, let alone love and enjoying watching it, but I actually did. Not just like, but loved it. I thought this was a very good and a visually impressive new take of Gatsby.

This movie reminded me a bit of Joe Wright's Anna Karenina (starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen), which I also loved and enjoyed watching, and was visually stunning and impressive as well. Both great films, in my opinion. Loved the stylized approached in both films and it was quite interesting that both title characters (AK and Gatsby) had similar sad and tragic ending. Back to Gatsby, Leo DiCaprio in the title role was wonderful in the title role. So handsome in his white suit, yet charming and mysterious at the same time. Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan was pretty good herself. Great casting of everyone including Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway (Daisy's cousin), Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan (Daisy's husband), and Isla Fisher (in a small role, but she was pretty good here as well) as Myrtle Wilson (Tom Buchanan's mistress).

Overall, The Great Gatsby was very good. I actually loved and enjoyed watching it. Loved the stunning visuals and the equally impressive music/score. The colorful glitz and glam costumes were fabulous. The story was written and adapted well in this fresh new take. Baz Lurhmann did a pretty good job directing too. Just a very well made remake film. I recommend you see this movie (if you haven't already). Go see it!

My The Great Gatsby
film rating:  (9/10 ; A-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)