Film Review: The Host

The Host (2013)
starring Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, Diane Kruger
Watch The Host trailer

(source: VISO Trailers)

Synopsis
When an unseen enemy threatens mankind by taking over their bodies and erasing their memories, Melanie will risk everything to protect the people she cares most about, proving that love can conquer all in a dangerous new world.



I saw The Host last April. I thought it was very good. I've read the book this movie was adapted from a long time ago. I enjoyed reading the book. I don't remember much from the book though (as it's been a while since I've read it and I've only read it once) until I saw this movie. I started to remember a lot of things I've read in the book and looks like this movie stayed close to its original source of the same title.

Saoirse Ronan as Melanie Stryder/Wanda (aka Wanderer) was pretty good in the dual role. I thought she was convincing in both parts. Great casting on her as the lead dual role. Before she was cast in this film, I didn't picture her or any actress to be playing both parts for any possible movie adaptation (when I was reading the book I thought and wonder if this will turned into a movie, but had not given any thought or imagined anyone who will play the dual role of Melanie and Wanda). Glad Saoirse Ronan got the lead dual role. She's a very good actress and I always seem to liked her in every film I've seen her (thus far). She was just as very good here as she was in her previous films. It's interesting that she's always good whether her film is very good, average, or mediocre. Her performance here was solid and loved that she was convincing in playing both characters in one, within her and it was like seeing her talking and arguing with herself, lol. 

Diane Kruger as The Seeker was good too. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with most of the supporting actors. A lot of them are not as well-known as Ronan and Kruger. A few were good though including the young boy who played Ronan's younger brother Jamie and the actor who played her uncle was good too. Other than those two along with Ronan and Kruger, it would've been nice if they picked a good and well-known actor for Jared, the male lead role (opposite Ronan). I've never heard of Max Irons nor seen him in a movie before this. He was not (in my viewing, the handsome) Jared I had imagined and pictured in the book. I don't know, he just didn't fit the character description from the book. He and Saoirse didn't have chemistry either, which was unfortunate because I wanted to liked them together as I did in the book. Didn't quite like the love-triangle here between Melanie/Jared/Wanda, but the love square was interesting to watch between Melanie/Jared/Wanda/Ian.Whilst Ronan does a good job on her dual parts, the two guys she was meant to be conflicted with were rather dull and just didn't have any chemistry with her. Neither actor has much of a personality or character to make me like or care for either one to be with Ronan's Melanie or Wanda characters. Their performances were lackluster and forgettable. The ending was interesting though, as far as Melanie returning to herself and Wanda leaving her host.

Overall, I thought The Host was good, not great...well, mainly and mostly because of Saoirse Ronan playing the main dual characters. She was good, as usual. The story and dialogue, on the other hand, could've been better though as well as the casting for Jared (didn't do for me...he was miscast, in my opinion). I expected more as Ronan was in the lead, but was a kinda disappointed (not with Ronan, but the film overall). I still liked and enjoyed watching this film for what it was though and for Saoirse Ronan in the lead.

My The Host film rating: (8/10; B-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)