Film Review: Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World (2012)
starring Steve Carell, Keira Knightley

Watch the trailer below...

(source: )
Synopsis
As an asteroid nears Earth, a man finds himself alone after his wife leaves in a panic. He decides to take a road trip to reunite with his high school sweetheart. Accompanying him is a neighbor who inadvertently puts a wrench in his plan.


I must admit I watched this film mainly because I'm a fan of Keira Knightley. I'm a fan of hers and I love watching most of her period films (ie. Pride & Prejudice - my all-time favorite!, The Duchess, Doctor Zhivago [2002], Atonement, and The Edge of Love to name a few...Looking forward to seeing her in the upcoming Anna Karenina film!) and two of her rom-com/non-period films (ie. Bend It Like Beckham and Love Actually). I thought seeing her in this this film was going to be really good and something different from her and her often typical period films (though I've seen her in other modern setting type of films such as Last Night and London Boulevard recently, but those films were kind of mediocre...even though she did well on both...but I wasn't really into those films) and after seeing the trailer (which oddly, I quite liked watching more than the whole movie) for this movie, I thought it looked interesting and funny. Not too mentioned, I like Steve Carell too. But I guess I expected too much, which often leads me into disappointment.

This film was by no means the worst film I've seen nor it was great either. It was just okay. It didn't really held my attention that much as it was rather slow, kinda boring, long, sad, and depressing for me to watch especially with the characters waiting and expecting for "the end of the world" to come toward the later part of the film. I guess the apocalyptic part of it was just not my cup of tea! I mean, this was a nice, well-written movie...and something different than the usual rom-com movies. It was just not the movie I would say I loved and enjoyed watching a lot even with Keira Knightley on it. Sure, she did good with her character Penny and there were a few funny and unexpected moments here and there, but as far as the movie as a whole it was just alright for me. Like Keira, Steve Carell as Dodge did good as well, but his character was just too serious (and unfortunately, no sense of humor to entertained me) that I was waiting for his other more fun and campy character in Bruce Almighty film (with Jim Carrey) to show up here on this one and make me laugh...but he didn't. I guess I was used to seeing him in his more comedic roles. Here as Dodge, he became rather dull and kinda depressing to watch as his character was mostly sad and and looking depressed for the most part of this film.

There were a couple moments/scene that he attempted to be funny, but it just didn't seem to make me laugh...sigh! Interesting though that he and Keira as Dodge and Penny had a nice platonic/neighborly kind of relationship at the beginning until they became more than just friends (which didn't surprised me nor did I liked seeing them as one), but their pairing was so odd...I didn't seem to see any chemistry between them as a couple. I don't know, I guess he was too old for Keira's Penny's character and she was too young for him? I mean I've seen KK often get paired up with male co-stars older than her (and either they had chemistry or they don't). They were more like father-daughter than a couple here, lol. The supporting cast were good and funny though especially the "Welcome to Friendsy!" scene. The ending was sad though. I won't spoil it here nor say the veteran (and very familiar) actor who played Dodge's father...as I didn't expect to see him in this film....but it was nice to see him on this one.

Overall, Seeking A Friend (shorten here as it's such a long title to type here, lol) was just okay and not something I would repeat watching. One viewing of this film was enough for me. Of course, that's just my opinion...you may like it, you may not...it's all up to you if you want to see it.

My Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World rating: ! (7.5/10; C+)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Spanish Telenovelas

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)