Film Review: The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
starring Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Gary Oldman, Michael Cain, Morgan Freeman, Marion Cotillard, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Matthew Modine

Watch the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises


(source: )
Synopsis
It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act.
But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. But even if he dons the cape and cowl again, Batman may be no match for Bane.


I saw The Dark Knight Rises on its opening day (very sad to hear about the senseless Colorado shooting though...my thoughts and prayers goes out to the victims and those who died from the shooting). What an amazingly AWESOME film! Great cinematography, fantastic special effects, great ensemble cast and superb acting from all (main and supporting cast). Brilliant story and screenplay by the Nolan brothers (Christopher and Jonah), and superb direction by Christopher Nolan.

I loved that I didn't spoil myself (as I often though, lol...then, again, spoilers don't really spoil much) with this film. I didn't watch the trailer or clips prior to seeing this film. I've only seen a few stills, character posters, and movie poster for this film. Other than those, I didn't know much about this film and that's what made my viewing experience of this film amazing, fun, and enjoyable because I didn't know what was going on or what was going to happen next. I believe I did the same thing for the previous two Batman films, which made watching this trilogy a lot of fun.

Christian Bale
was great as Bruce Wayne/Batman per usual (since the first Batman Begins to The Dark Knight to this whole Batman trilogy). Michael Caine as Alfred was great too. He wasn't much on this film though, but he was always good and funny. Gary Oldman was good (as usual) as Commissioner Gordon. Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman was a lot of fun and amazing to watch in this film. So glad to see her in this movie! Three Inception (from Nolan's previous film) actors: Marion Cottilard as Miranda Tate (she was great here and wow, I didn't expect her character to turned out the way she did! I so did not see that coming! I was rooting for her and Bruce Wayne, let along shipping them, lol...but wowza, that was a pretty surprising twist that had my jaw dropping! But then, again, her character was mysterious, so I should've seen that coming, but I didn't...too busy watching the other characters and was immersed on the whole film to even noticed her character's surprising reveal! Great job on the writers and her acting for this shocking revelation of her character. Still, can't believe she turned out to be someone I didn't expect her to be...), Joseph Gordon-Levitt as officer Blake (he was pretty good here and I enjoyed watching his character's story arc and the interesting twist to his character towards the end...plus his first name had a surprising and familiar ring to it! I won't spoil it here...), and Tom Hardy as the villain Bane (didn't like his character, but he wasn't too bad as I thought he was until towards the end when he was actually not the worst villain Batman has ever faced...saved for that bloody scene where he beat him to death...almost!) were all great as well. Nice to see Matthew Modine here, but his character was unlikable. Morgan Freeman as Lucious Fox was good here too, but unfortunately, not as randomly funny (can't remember any memorable lines from him in this film) as he was in the previous Batman films, where most of his one-liners were witty and memorable.

Overall, The Dark Knight Rises was superb, epic, cleaver, fun, entertaining, dark, gritty, edgy, and just all around amazing film with a satisfying conclusion/ending for Nolan's impressive Batman trilogy. Loved that Batman had triumphed on his last outing at Gotham City and that Bruce Wayne ended up somewhere interesting...Great ending! A Must-see and worth watching final Batman film! I highly recommend you see this especially if you loved and have seen the previous Batman films. I know I did. Loved and enjoyed watching all 3 films. Go see this film!

My The Dark Knight Rises film rating: : (10/10; A+)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Spanish Telenovelas

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)