Film Review: The Three Musketeers 3D

starring Matthew Macfadyen, Luke Evans, Ray Stevenson,
Logan Lerman, Milla Jovovich, Orlando Bloom,
Christoph Waltz, and Juno Temple

Watch the trailer #2 for The Three Musketeers
(source: )




I saw The Three Musketeers in 3D on its opening day (Oct. 21st). This had been one of my anticipated films (and is listed in my Must-See Movies 2011 list of movies this year) and with Matthew Macfadyen playing Athos, one of the good guys in 3 Musketeers and Milla Jovovich (who I quite enjoyed watching in Resident Evil movies) was playing a cunning bad girl Milady de Winter, for a change. I had been looking forward to seeing this movie since I heard of their casting. I've been following it too on my P&P Blog right .
  
I must say that this movie was good, but not great. I was disappointed that it wasn't an amazing movie that I expected it to be as I had high expectations for this film especially with such talented ensemble cast and the director who directed RE movies that I've enjoyed watching. I guess I expected too much. Still, It was good and I enjoyed watching this film for what it was. It was fun and entertaining to watch though. Matthew Macfadyen as Athos was the highlight and the best thing to watch for me in this film. I loved and enjoyed watching every scene he was in and hearing his beautiful voice as the narrator of this film. I was pleasantly surprised that in the opening scene (and the first 5 minutes), the first thing I heard was his beautiful voice (as a narrator in this film) and first character/musketeer I've seen was his character, who leads the 3 Musketeers. I thought that was very cool! Matthew Macfadyen was excellent in this film. He did great in his narration (kudos to the director and producers for letting him narrate in this film...his voice is just beautiful to listen to!), acting, and fight scenes. I loved his one-liners in this film too such as "D'Artagnan, you want to be a musketeers? This is your chance." "It was an off-day" and "Round Two." and the way he said "Bukingham," sounded like "Wickham" (the character from his P&P movie), lol...The supporting cast did very good too like the other two musketeers Luke Evans as Aramis and Ray Stevenson as Porthos. Logan Lerman was a good D'Artagnan and the girl (Gabriella Wilde) who played his love interest, Constance. They were very cute together. Milla Jovovich was pretty good as the female villain, for a change. I enjoyed watching her fight scenes, but didn't like her when she betrayed and broke one of the Musketeers' heart...lol. Academy Award winner Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds) as the cardinal was pretty good here even though he was playing a small role. Orlando Bloom as Duke of Buckingham was okay. Though it was interesting to see him play a supporting role where he was not a good guy, for a change. The actor Freddie Fox (interesting he appeared in MM's Any Human Heart miniseries and Talulah Riley's St. Trinians 2 movie...he's now a frequent P&P co-star, lol) who played King Louis XIII of France reminded me of Simon Woods who played Mr. Bingley in one of my favorite films to watch (of all time), Pride & Prejudice (2005) film. He was funny in this movie, lol. James Corden, who played Planchet, the 3 Musketeers' servant was funny in this film.

While the story was typical and just okay, the cinematography, fight scenes, and visual effects were all great in this movie. Overall, this film was still fun and enjoyable to watch. After all, It's purely for fun and entertainment and not meant to be an Oscar winning film.

My The Three Musketeers 3D Film Rating: ! (8.5/10; B+)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)