Film Review: The Adjustment Bureau

starring Matt Damon, Emily Blunt

Watch the trailer for The Adjustment Bureau
  
(source: )

I just saw The Adjustment Bureau and thought it was a very good film! My kind of movie too as it had plenty of action, a lil' sci-fi thriller with plenty of an-edge-of-your-seat suspense, mystery, and romance all in one! It was quite an entertaining movie with an unexpected humor too. Though it reminded me a bit of Matt Damon's successful Bourne Trilogy films with all the running and chasing scenes, but you know what? It was great and it worked very well in this film too. I must say, I loved and enjoyed watching this movie from beginning to end.



I have waited to see this since I heard Matt Damon and Emily Blunt were cast in this film. They're two of my favorite actors and to hear them co-starring and paired up in the same movie got me so excited. The title was kind of unusual and took some time to get used to, but just seeing Damon and Blunt attached to star in this film was enough to make me excited and want to see them in this one. The title didn't even matter as long as the story was good and I knew they were both really good and very talented actors that they'll do great together. But the movie took a while to be released in theaters. The studio kept changing the dates. It had me worried that it may not be good or it wouldn't get released and I won't see them in this movie. I've seen the trailer and I thought it was interesting and looked like it had potential to be a very good movie. It should've been released last year as I was looking forward to it and was even listed in my Must-See List of films in 2010 (and again, this year too), but it was pushed back at least a few times or so and I've read an article that it had to re-shoot scenes and that it won't be released till sometime early 2011. I was thinking, what a bummer. I really wanted to see this movie. I was about to lose hope when I heard that it's was being released last week!

My excitement went back and on and this movie didn't disappoint! It was a very smart and all-around amazing. It reminded me also a bit of Inception and Taken in some parts. Very clever! I love all the mystery and suspense in this film. I kept thinking what the heck is going to happen next?!! What I love about this film was that I didn't know what to expect or what was going to happen next. It kept me guessing, wondering, and on the edge of my seat the entire time I was watching it, basically ever since the chase started for Matt Damon's character David Norris.

Though, I didn't care much for the politics part of it, but nevertheless, it was still very interesting and intriguing to watch and Matt Damon was so great on this one! He was so handsome to look at too...I could just stare and watch him get chase around or when his face zooms in, in close-up, when he speaks and when he does his political speeches with humor in any scene he was on, lol. I was so transfixed at the sight of him. I was thinking after staring at his face in those close-up moments of his David character when the camera zooms in to his handsome face, Matt Damon looks the same as when he starred in those Bourne trilogy movies even when I first saw him in Good Will Hunting (with his real-life and equally handsome and talented BFF, Ben Affleck) and The Talented Mr. Reply to name a few of his old movies...and looks like he never ages...like Leonardo DiCaprio, who's baby faced-looking and ages like a fine wine. He's a very good actor too and add Emily Blunt opposite him, who's a very good actress herself and you get to see a great movie. They make a beautiful couple! They were great together and sizzled on-screen with an instant chemistry the moment their characters David and Elise first met, that I was rooting for their characters to stay together when they did and fight for their love from those adjustment bureau gang, who were trying to keep them apart as much as possible. Emily Blunt was as great as Matt Damon. I loved and enjoyed watching her in The Young Victoria, The Devil Wears Prada, and Sunshine Cleaning to name a few. Even in supporting roles she does or her not so good films, she was still pretty good and a scene stealer too. In this movie though, they were both great.

Overall, I thought this movie was awesome! The cast from the leads (Matt Damon and Emily Blunt) to the supporting cast (even though they're not as big stars and familiar names as Matt and Emily) were just as good...especially the guys chasing them were kinda like those guys from Men In Black and The Matrix, lol. Not too mention, a very unexpected and nice surprised cameo by Jennifer Ehle (The King's Speech and best known as Elizabeth Bennet from the popular BBC/A&E's 1995 Pride and Prejudice miniseries), who appeared twice briefly as she popped in and out as quickly as she appeared in a couple of bar scenes that David stopped by twice and quickly in the movie. I so did not expect to see her in this movie and when I saw her, I almost didn't recognized her and the camera just zoomed in and out so quickly that if you don't know what she looked like or doesn't know or have seen her before when she was younger from back in the mid-90s who used to be in that P&P miniseries, you wouldn't even noticed her when you blink in that scene and another almost similar scene she was in. I happened to noticed her twice as I was familiar of what she looks like even to this day as I've seen her in P&P and in smaller roles in films like The King's Speech and The Greatest recently. It took me a moment though to realized she was in those brief scenes with Matt Damon. Very interesting cameo appearance! The story was smart and cleverly written. The acting of the cast were great and the direction was great as does the cinematography and visual effects! A must-see and phenomenal film I've seen this year, thus far. I highly recommend you see it!


My The Adjustment Bureau Film Rating: ! (10/10; A+)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Spanish Telenovelas

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)