Film Review: The King's Speech

starring Colin Firth, Helena Bonham Carter,
Geoffrey Rush, Jennifer Ehle
  

Watch the trailer below

(source:

I just saw The King's Speech recently and I must say It was a terrific film. I've been wanting to see it since I first heard about it and I've been following its casting, production, and filming status as I love period movies especially historical and royal monarchies. There's something about those royals and time period/eras that always piqued my interest. They fascinate me and I've always enjoyed watching them. So, when I heard about this film, I knew I wanted to see it.



In 2009, I had enjoyed watching The Young Victoria (read my film review here) and when I heard Colin Firth was doing TKS and playing the lead role as Bertie/King George VI, I knew this will be really good and would be a big success. Not too mention, the director, Tom Hooper directed one of my favorite Period dramas (Love In A Cold Climate). I wasn't surprised when it was released at various film festivals first and had been getting rave reviews (both audiences and critics) and many accolades after another as it would. It just took me a long time to finally get to see this film. It was mostly showing in select cities (as it often does when it comes to small budgeted, independent films) before it finally expanded late last December. I got to see it when it finally went wide after it became more and more popular and had been receiving tons of recognitions, nominations, and accolades for the main cast Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter, and the film, of course. So glad to finally have seen it. It was as good as I thought it would be.

Actually, it was much more than I expected. It was awe inspiring, heartbreaking, emotional, and triumphant all at the same time. It had some humor too when you least expected it. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were equally amazing and complement each other's scenes very well. I loved and enjoyed watching every scene they appeared together. The cast were great and the story was brilliantly written. Superb acting by both main and supporting cast (especially CF) as well as terrific direction by Tom Hooper.

Colin Firth was perfectly cast for the lead role as Bertie/King George VI (Great Britain's current Queen Elzabeth's late father). He was excellent and very believable as the reluctant king who stammers. CF was quite impressive in the role. He most certainly deserved all the recognitions, nominations, and awards he has been getting for this film. The Oscar (his second nomination two years in a row) win for him come Oscars Night will be an icing to his royal Firthness...err...highness and majesty's cake, lol.

Geoffrey Rush was great and funny as Lionel Logue, the speech therapist who helped Bertie/King George overcome his stammer. Helena Bonham Carter was also great in the supporting role as Elizabeth, the Duchess of York turned Queen Elizabeth (the late Queen mother to the current Queen Elizabeth). CF reunited briefly with his Pride and Prejudice (1995 miniseries) co-star Jennifer Ehle, who played Geoffrey Rush's character's wife Myrtle Logue. She had quite a small role in this film, but it was nice to see her in this film as well as to be reunited with Firth even just for a brief scene. I sure was expecting it, but didn't think will see them in the same scene throughout hte movie until halfway or almost towards the end of it. Their brief scene together was a pleasant surprise as her character was surprised to see him. It was short, but sweet. It was like watching Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, 15 years later as their older selves, lol. It's interesting that they haven't done movies together since P&P. It was nice to see them again on screen though, this time on the big screen. Their other former P&P co-star, David Bamber (Mr. Collins) had a cameo role here as well. So, it was like a nice lil' P&P reunion in The King's Speech. It would've been nice though if JE had played CF's character's wife instead of HBC, not that HBC wasn't good ('cause she was), but it would've been an awesome P&P reunion had they played the lead role together (just wishful thinking on my part)...but then again, P&P fans (who are familiar with these two in the 1995 miniseries) would just see them as Darcy & Elizabeth not the King and Queen, lol. So, it was for the best that she played a small, supporting role and he played the lead role. It worked out quite well in the film (loved their brief scene together though)...perhaps in another movie.

Overall, I thought the King's Speech was an outstanding, beautiful film. A must-see film and a crowd-pleaser too. You'll laugh and cry at the same time. I highly recommend you see it, if you haven't already. Go see it!

My The King's Speech Film Rating: ! (10/10; A+)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)