Film Review: The Secret Life of Bees

I must admit I didn't have this movie on my MUST SEE list of movies to watch this year (2008), let alone watch it. Don't get me wrong, not that I can't watch this type of film. I've seen plenty of similar films like this before. This one though had a good trailer, good story, and a great ensemble cast. Not too mention, my mother wanted to see this movie with me. So we did. We saw this a couple weeks ago and it was a very, very good movie. We loved and enjoyed it. This movie along with The Duchess, Mamma Mia, and The Dark Knight, were 4 of the best films (in 4 different genres) I've seen this year...so far!

Read my review of this movie...


The Secret Life Of Bees (2008)


starring: Queen Latifah, Dakota fanning, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, and Sophie Okenido


Brief Synopsis:


Set in South Carolina in 1964, it's the tale of Lily Owens, a 14 year-old girl who is haunted by the memory of her late mother. To escape her lonely life and troubled relationship with her father, Lily flees with Rosaleen, her caregiver and only friend, to a South Carolina town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by the intelligent and independent Boatwright sisters, Lily finds solace in their mesmerizing world of beekeeping, honey and the Black Madonna.


Watch the trailer below:

source: watchmoviepreviews

My The Secret Life of Bees Review:

The Secret Life of Bees was a beautiful film. The casting, story, cinematography, and direction were all just beautifully done. My mother and I never expected to have loved and enjoyed watching this film. It made us smile, laugh, and cry all at the same time. There were very few dry eyes that I noticed at the theaters, lol. It was a very sad movie overall, but it was very touching. The ensemble cast were all superb in this film with the all grown up Dakota Fanning leading the cast. I must say, I'm not a fan of her (as I've always find her this smart, but very annoying little girl in her old films, lol), but I've seen her previous films when she was a little girl (such as "I Am Sam," "Hide & Seek", and "Uptown Girls" to name a few) and I thought this film was Dakota's best performance I've seen her in. I was very impressed with her acting in this film. She really made her character believable and real. She was so convincing. She really moved, touched and made me cry in this movie, which I never expected. I won't be surprised if she gets an Oscar nomination for Best Actress in this film as she did a great job with her portrayal of Lily Owens here. Queen Latifah (as always) was brilliant in this film too as does Jennifer Hudson as Rosaleen Daisie, Alicia Keys as June Boatright, and Sophie Okenido as May Boatright. Great choice of casting. Queen Latifah's character August Boatright, the oldest sister was fun to watch along with Dakota's Lilly character. Their scenes together were great. Dakota and Jennifer Hudson's characters Lily and Rosaleen had great scenes too just before they met the other characters, (the Boatright sisters whose first names seems to be inspired from the months of the calendar, lol) May, June, and August. What no July? Though I thought that it was funny when August said that Rosaleen would make a nice "July," haha!!! Jennifer as Rosaleen was great in this movie. I won't be surprise either if she gets another Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actress in this one. She was really very good here. Alicia Keys was pretty good too and funny. The rest of the supporting cast like Paul Bethany (husband of Academy Award Winning Supporting Actress and A Beautiful Mind co-star Jennifer Connelly) was good here playing Lily's father T-Ray Owens. For a British actor, he sure had a very convincing southern accent here. I didn't know Hilarie Burton (from One Tree Hill) was in this film too until I saw her name on the film's credit. I didn't even recognized her in this film. She played Lily Owens' beloved departed mother, Deborah Owens. Guess, I didn't remember or recognized her when I saw this movie because she played a minor role and in flashback scenes too. She did good in her small part here. Now, after seeing the screen cap from thet movie to your left here, I remember now, lol. Basically, the entire cast from leading to supporting cast were great in this movie.

As the brief synopsis stated here:

Set in South Carolina in 1964, it's the tale of Lily Owens, a 14 year-old girl who is haunted by the memory of her late mother. To escape her lonely life and troubled relationship with her father, Lily flees with Rosaleen, her caregiver and only friend, to a South Carolina town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by the intelligent and independent Boatwright sisters, Lily finds solace in their mesmerizing world of beekeeping, honey and the Black Madonna.


That re-posted and said here, I thought, overall...what a great drama film. I haven't seen one like this in a while. Beautiful, touching, and just a delight to watch. Again, the ensemble cast were outstanding (esp. with 1 of them an Oscar winner and 2 other Oscar nominees) as does the film itself. I highly recommend this film for everyone: black, white, asian, hispanic, and any races or walks of life...it's not just about race or color...this film appeals and relates to everyone (esp. women). Go see it, if you haven't yet!

My The Secret Life of Bees Film Rating: ! (10/10; A+)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)