Film Review: Tropic Thunder

I saw this movie recently with my sister. She was in town for the labor day weekend and wanted to see this movie with me. This movie sure looked to be really funny, so we went to see it.

Hmm, I must say, this movie was just ok. Not so funny as the trailer was, unfortunately. We definitely wasted our money and time for this movie.

Here's my lil' review as I don't really have much to say other than this movie was ok and typical Ben Stiller movie. If you're a Ben Stiller fan (Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr.), this movie is for you...if not, then, I don't recommend this movie, lol


Tropic Thunder (2008)

(starring Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black)


Brief Synopsis: Through a series of freak occurrences, a group of actors shooting a big-budget war movie are forced to become the soldiers they are portraying.

My Tropic Thunder Review:



As I've said, this movie was just ok. It had some funny moments and some not so funny. Mostly this movie can be summed up from its trailer clip, as the funniest parts we've already seen. Nothing new, fun or exciting parts of the movie that made us laughed out loud. To think we have 3 of the best [comedic] actors, but the script or story just fell flat and didn't deliver. In my opinion, It failed to impressed or made us laugh. It wasn't just me and my sister who didn't enjoy or thought this movie was funny. Basically, the other moviegoers who were watching this movie didn't think this movie was that good or funny either. It looked funny on the trailer and tv commercials esp. Robert Downey Jr.'s character...but that was just it. We definitely didn't understand why this movie was a success and #1 for a few weeks or so. Though the only reason I could think of was that because it was a Ben Stiller movie (he directed this as well, which I didn't know he did till I read on the credits...interesting!) and you got Jack Black and Robert Downey, Jr. (fresh from his Iron Man blockbuster, which I thought was so much better, but I can't compare this to that movie as they are completely different movies and genres. It's another movie to talk about, lol).

Speaking of Robert Downey, Jr. I thought he was one of the few best and funniest parts of this movie. He was definitely in character and owned it, which makes him one of the best actors, in my opinion. He sure was the funniest one in this movie and very convincing at playing an Australian actor who was playing an African-American in a movie they were doing within a movie, lol. He got the walk, the talk and the look so convincing that if you didn't know it was him, you'd think it was someone else, lol. Ben Stiller was funny in some scenes as well as Jack Black, but I thought Robert Downey, Jr. stole the spotlight and the only one I at least enjoyed watching. Tom Cruise made an unrecognizable cameo appearance in this film, as this mean bald film executive, lol. Like RDJ, he looked different, and if you didn't recognized his voice, you wouldn't know it was Tom Cruise. He was funny though in the 2 brief scenes were he was dancing to Flo Rida's "Low" and another hip-hop song (the title escapes me at the moment), haha! Those random scenes at least made us laugh.

Overall, this movie was just ok. It wasn't the worst, but not the best either. Just A-OK. I will only recommend this to fans of the 3 lead actors, otherwise...if you're not a fan, don't bother. It'll be just a waste of your time or money...at least it was for us who thought this would be so funny, but was disappointed that it failed to make us and the other audience laugh.

My Tropic Thunder Film Rating: (4/10; D)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)