Film Review: The X-Files - I want To Believe

For 9 seasons, I was an avid watcher of the popular Fox series, The X-Files. This show, for those of you who has never followed or watch it when it was on TV was about two FBI agents, Fox Mulder, the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic investigate the strange and unexplained while hidden forces work to impede their efforts. I must admit, I haven't seen the re-runs of this show since it ended back in 2002 nor did I even see the first The X-Files (The Movie), so I didn't know what to expect when I heard there was another X-F movie. Of course, I was glad and excited to hear that a new X-F2 movie, The X-Files: I Want To Believe was made and that this one actually was a continuation from the tv series' final episode (unlike the first XF movie) and in this one Scully and Mulder are finally seen as a couple. Naturally, I got very excited for this new movie as I was more of a Scully-Mulder shipper than a super fan of TX-F show itself, lol. Like I said, I've seen the show for all 9 seasons, but I wasn't like a die-hard fan. Still, I used to loved and enjoyed watching the show more for its brilliant casting and acting of David Duchovny (as Special Agent Fox Mulder) and Gillian Anderson (as Special Agent Dana Scully) commonly known by fans as Mulder & Scully, its very well-written storylines, its mysteriousness, unexplained episode endings, and most of all the Scully-Mulder pairing (though they were mostly shown as just FBI agent partners on the X-F show), which I loved and wanted so much to get together and be a couple during the show, but didn't happen...if I remember right. I used to get disappointed when they almost did kiss, but never did, lol. Imagine my surprise and delight when I heard they are finally a couple in this new movie, 6 years after the show ended. So, I was very glad to hear that and got all excited when I saw it late last month after its opening weekend. I must say, it was a great movie.

Read more of this movie and my review below...with caution though of slight spoilers mention here and there...



Starring David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson,
Amanda Peet, and X-hibit

Brief Synopsis:

Mulder and Scully are called back to duty by the FBI when a former priest claims to be receiving psychic visions pertaining to a kidnapped agent.

My Review:
When I was watching this movie in the big screen at the movies, I didn't know what to expect nor did I have any expectations other than to just watch it and enjoy the movie. I was glad I did and had zero expectations 'cause I thought this movie was great. It brought back fun memories of all those times I used to watch the X-F show back when it was still showing on tv. I sure have missed watching this show. Unfortunately, I don't own any of the season dvds (my only excuse is that they're expensive, lol) nor have I been watching the re-runs on tv, but I still remember what it was all about. Mostly, of course, Scully & Mulder are the only main characters to remember and you're good to go. Still, I must admit, it had been 6 years since I last saw the series finale episode, so I couldn't remember much what happened to my 2 favorite FBI agents, Scully & Mulder. The opening scene from the movie though was pretty much like the opening scene from the tv show. Though I almost thought the unidentified female FBI agent driving in the snow at the beginning was Scully, but once they showed her face...I was mistaken...it wasn't her, lol. Of course, Scully's first scene was in the hospital as she was a former FBI agent and Dr. Dana Scully now. Wow, I didn't know or rather I don't remember her being a doctor, but that was nice and a pleasant surprise for me to see that she was, in this movie. Also, when FBI agents were looking for Mulder, she said that she no longer works with him. It didn't look like she knows where he was, but when the next scene showed Scully going home, I just realized that she knows where Mulder was because she lives with him. I was taken a back and was suprised to see they were really living together, haha! It was hard to believe they were living together and are now a couple (esp. after seeing them not a couple for 9 seasons on tv), but I was glad to finally see them, not just professional partners, but as a romantic couple for a change. Like I said, I've always loved this pair as a couple and was glad to see their cute/romantic moments together in this film. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson sure had some great on-screen chemistry (they always have been since the TV show...that's why they're one of my favorite on-screen pairings to watch) and I was glad to still see that on the big screen. It was like watching them on TV only this time on a much bigger and wider screen. It was amazing! Though seeing them randomly in a bed scene together was a lil' weird, since I didn't see it coming, lol. It was still cute and romantic though. Finally, a romantic Scully-Mulder on-screen. It's about damn time and I loved it! It sure was very nice to see it on the big screen. Though it made me laughed that they still call each other Scully and Mulder even though they are living together and have a romantic, intimate relationship. Guess, they got used to calling each other their last names (for 9 seasons on TV) that it was just easier to call each other in those names. Someone posted a funny theory of why Scully and Mulder shouldn't get married because they'll confused the viewers if Scully changed her last name to Mulder and they both call each other Mulder, hahaha...! I thought that was hilarious and so true at the same time, lol. Amanda Peet and X-hibit co-stars as FBI agents in this movie. I thought one of the female FBI agents looked like Amanda Peet and sure enough it was her, lol. I can't believe what happened to her toward the end, but I won't spoil and say what happened as it'll ruin the plot of this movie for those who haven't seen this movie. I loved that Mulder was still a believer in this movie, but not so much with Scully that she was still skeptic when it comes to finding out the truth. Overall, this movie was very good. There were some suspense, some action, and a finally a romance between Scully-Mulder, of course. I was a lil' disappointed with the ending though as like the TV series, it leaves you hanging (in a cliffhanger...perhaps there's another sequel?) as usual...just Scully in the hospital in the operating room about to perform a surgery to a boy who was dying with some kind of cancer. Fortunately, my good friend Ashley (over at fd2c, my L&C forum) told me about staying through the end of the credits for something special or nice lil' scene to watch...so I did and was glad I stayed through. It was a very nice and cute one. I won't spoil here and say what it was about...so if you want to see this film and want to see it, I at least won't ruin the lil' end-of-the-credits-surprise.

My F-X2 Film Rating: ! (9/10; A-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: The Proposal

Celebrity Look-Alikes

Spanish Telenovelas

Film Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Foreign Films (Part 2)